Hello ,All Talented women who have taken a break from work for personal reasons for few years. Congratulations. that now you have decided to join the workforce. Of course, you should. After all, all the education, talent, experience should be put to a greater use . Work is a part of our identity though we don't like to be described in terms of work alone.
I am writing a generic letter to all talented women who look for Career guidance. I list out few Things that are well within your control which you can do to make yourself workforce ready . It will help put the best foot forward .
- Network Network Network Why do I say so ? 80% of today's jobs are landed through networking . Network is your networth. Make use of Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin . Reach out to folks who are willing to share their expertise, knowledge, experience and insights with you and learn from them. Open Forums and Knowledge groups are great platforms to find new friends , belong to a community, and ultimately land up job opportunities. If you are a HR Professional, I invite you to join WOWHR https://twitter.com/WOWHR50, we discuss HR , help and support each other , Learn together and have Fun along with way :-)
- Develop your Personal Brand – In simple words, raise your visibility. In a crowded job market, it pays off to differentiate yourself
- Reinvent Yourself – It means be open to take on a totally different avatar & be willing to do different stuff than what you have done before. Add new skills to your portfolio, take on new assignments even if it means a short term ( 2- 3 months) assignment.
- Social Media Management – Social Media has made all of us publishers. Write your own script and best narrative to showcase through Social Media.
- Join Communities of interest - Community means new friendships, new learnings, new relationships. Remember The strength of weak ties i.e., when applied in real world it means that weaker ties ironically are more helpful in landing jobs than one’s close friends. Twitter and Linkedin both are great houses for communities for a keen eye. If you cant find an interesting one, Hell yeah, start your own community and demonstrate your Leadership potential.Follow Nischala's blog. She speaks through her heart to women of all ages . You will find an instant connection and a friend in her blog.
- Attend Conferences like Sheroes to Learn new things and meet interesting people once a year -If you havnt heard of Sheroes yet, you might be truly living under a rock. Register yourself on Sheroes. They are doing a great work for women community . Where else could I learn that there is a Venture Fund exclusively setup to fund and encourage Women Entrepreneurs.
- Read Good Books – Read books related to your work interests to keep yourself sharp and stay upto date on latest trends. Need I say more ?:-)
- Believe in yourself – We all go through different phases in Life - Highs and Lows. Let the lows not affect you so much that you forget to swim. Keep learning , Keep navigating , Dream on new dreams and then make yourself busy to realize those dreams.
Stay connected :-) Share your story . I can be reached out via twitter @rucsb